Monday, April 20, 2009

April 19 Weekend

Renea's husbad passed away on Friday evening. I spent Saturday until 3PM cooking to try and help the family. Renea said they had so many visitors people had to wait outside. Following is what I made. It is a good idea to bring paper towels, napkins, paper plates, cups, trash bags and plasticware too. Put everything in foil pans and things people do not have to return to help out.

MENU FOR SOUTHERN FUNERAL FOOD
Smoked Ribs with Apple Glaze
Pork Tenderloin with Stuffing (Aunt Hilda style as I described in earlier blogging)
Mac and Cheese with Lots of Extra Creamy Cheese
Pinto Beans with Country Ham and Bacon
Basmati Rice
Cornbread Cake
Gallon of Sweet Tea
Soft drinks

The cornbread cake is a recipe Joe reinvented from Renea's Mom. It is a simple cake that everyone loves...and it does not require bringing out the mixer which is what I like about it the most. It doe not have cornmeal in it, but the name is based on the way it looks. Just let me know if you want the recipe.

After meeting Renea with the food, McKenna and I went to the Johnston County Horse Show. It was a wonderful show with nice, laid back people and horses. All I could think about was when could McKenna and I get there to show our own horses!

Joe bought a 91" mowing deck for our new Tipton 44 Hybrid Coastal Burmuda. He also purchased the post, auger and cement to start the fence.

SUNDAY
We did our usual Sunday morning routine with coffee and George Stephanopolis. After we went to the farm. It was a beautiful spring day. Aunt Hilda and Maurice helped us out by entertaining McKenna, while Joe and I mowed and picked up rocks. We did not get a chance to start the fence, but boy was that pasture pretty when we got through!!!

No comments: