Monday, April 13, 2009

Aunt Hilda's Baked Chicken

As we were leaving the farm on Saunday, Aunt Hilda took pity on us and made us a WONDERFUL dinner to take home. Joe and I agreed it was the best chicken we have had. McKenna had 2 pieces for lunch. Not only was it great, I had not been to the grocery in about 100 years, so it was a true blessing. The surprising thing about this recipe is that the butter turns a nutty flavor and that little bit of flour turns to a nice white gravy. Here is how she told me she made it:

AUNT HILDA'S BAKED CHICKEN RECIPE
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 package chicken pieces
all purpose flour (about 1/3 cup)
Pam
red pepper flakes
salt
pepper
apple cider vinegar
1 stick butter melted

Spray a casserole dish with Pam. Coat the bottom of the dish with flour. Add chicken pieces that have been salted and peppered. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes to your liking. Pour in the butter (close to the side so you don't get the seasoning off the chicken). Pour in the vinegar just to the top of the chicken. If you are not a huge vinegar fan you can use some broth or water. Cover and bake for about 1 hour. I believe this would work well in a crock pot too.

I made it for dinner tonight. Yes, the same day after I had it (because I just cannot get enough). The recipe is extremely forgiving. You just cannot mess it up. Here is how I changed it based on what I had around the house:
- added 50% College Brand White Wine Broth to the Vinegar
- Added a sprinkle of rosemary-based chicken rub
- Through in a few wedges of lemon
- Used boneless organic chicken ('cause that's what was in the freezer!)
Try it. You'll love it!

No comments: