Friday, February 2, 2007

"MaMa's Quilt"

I made this quilt for my wonderful grandmother, Lillian. Here is the unquilted version. It looks even better quilted.







The pattern name: Polka Dots
The pattern source: Summertime, By Black Mountain Quilts
The NAME of your quilt: A quilt for Ma-ma
When I found the stack of fat quarters more than 6 months before I started this quilt, they reminded my of my grandmother some how. I can’t say specifically what it was but I think it was the pink and brown combo. I also thought the pattern looked like something I would have found in her closet. The modern nature of the design looked like her style too.
Date you started the quilt: August 2006
Date you finished the top: August 2006
Date you finished the quilt: January 2007
Who pieced it: Rhonda Weaver Warren
Who quilted it: Rhonda Weaver Warren
Is there a label or identifying mark? Yes. Bottom “For Ma-ma, With Love, Rhonda, 2006”
Where was it made? Zebulon, NC, Franklin County
Who/what was it made for: Lillian Edna Scruggs Collie, my maternal grandmother, always “Ma-ma” to me. My bestest friend through my entire life.
Was there anything special going on in your life at the time you were working on it? My grandmother has been in and out of the hospital and nursing home over the last year. I wanted to give her something she could wrap around herself like a warm hug from me. One day my friend will no longer be with me, but I can keep this quilt that I made for her and think of her arms around me and her always encouraging words and never ending support. She and Pa-pa have made so many hand made items for me, I am glad I can give her something I put my heart in making. This was my favorite set of fabics.
How was it constructed: Machine pieced, appliquéd and quilted.
Size of quilt: Double, 56” x 86”
Main colors: pink, brown, aqua, pea green, yellow (love these colors!) on white-on-white
Fabric Information: The fabric is from the “Charm” collection by Amy Butler. It was purchased in January 2006 at the Whistle Stop as a fat quarter bundle. I had no idea what I was going to do with the fabrics. It made me happy to take them out from time to time and look at them. The always made me think of Ma-ma. One day I went into the Whistle Stop and saw that Connie had made this same quilt and had it hanging the window. I knew right then that is what I was going to do. I think the circles showcase the fabric, and I prefer this for such pretty designs. looked long and hard for the white background. I found 2 new quilt shops along the way. I ended up with a dot sunflower white-on-white and I could not be happier. I used about 3 yards of heat and bond for the appliqué. It was simple and fast, clean and bright. I like it!
Batting information: 100% cotton.

No comments: