Friday, February 2, 2007

"Olivia's Bears" Quilt

I made this quilt for our friends Cara and Andy and their beautiful new baby, Olivia Michelle. This is a picture before it was quilted. I created the pattern and figured out all the cutting measurements. The next time I make some one a baby quilt I don't think I will make it as scrappy as Olivia's Bears. Although I like scrappy and was so excited about all the different reproduction fabrics, I bet most people like things a little more middle of the road.





The pattern name: Olivia’s Bears
The pattern source: Self made
Date you started the quilt: September 2006
Date you finished the top: December 2006
Date you finished the quilt: January 2007
Who pieced it: Rhonda Weaver Warren
Who quilted it: Rhonda Weaver Warren
Is there a label or identifying mark? Olivia Michelle Domer, 12~21~07
Where was it made? Zebulon, NC, Franklin County
Who/what was it made for: Celebrating the birth of Olivia Michelle Domer
Was there anything special going on in your life at the time you were working on it? This was a very busy time of year. I had a big business trip to Hong Kong between Christmas and New Year’s and it seemed to make Christmas come so much faster. I wanted to give my dad and grandmother quilts for Christmas, plus Olivia was scheduled to be born at the same time. I still have not started by dad’s!
How was it constructed: Machine pieced, appliquéd and quilted.
Size of quilt: Crib
Main colors: Green, yellow and pink to match the colors of her nursery.
Fabric Information: All the fabrics are 1930-40 reproductions purchased at the Whistle Stop Quilt Shop in Selma, NC. They are all 100% cotton Aunt Grace. My favorite fabric is on the bear in the lower left corner. The bear in the fabric is carrying Christmas trees and I thought this was a perfect fabric for a Christmas-time baby. The yellow fabric with the “ant blossoms” is called Rocky Mount, which happens to be the town I was born in. It was the sight of a large cotton mill (where my grandfather worked), which may be the reason for the fabric’s name. I used thread in making this quilt that came from my mom’s old sewing box. The green was from a high school uniform. I ran out of green thread when I was embroidering the name.
Batting information: 100% organic cotton.

No comments: