Friday, February 2, 2007

McKenna's Quilt

This quilt was mace for a very special person, my sweet daughter, McKenna.






The pattern name: Snowball Quilt
The NAME of your quilt: McKenna’s Quilt
The pattern source: Whistle Stop Quilt Shop
I really wanted to learn to quilt, but one day I realized I may not have any children to pass the quilt on to, so I put away my dream. One day I stopped by the quilt store to look around and learned that they were teaching a “how to sew” class. I signed up but it was cancelled. I came back in to get my money back and the store owner, Connie, asked if I wanted to sign up for the beginning quilting class instead of getting my money back. She said they were making a snowball crib size quilt. I almost started to cry because I knew I would not have a child and it just hurt me to even look at the cute little quilt. Once I became pregnant with McKenna, I realized I would have to have a reason to quilt. I took a beginners one day class in which I learned to make a 9-patch and snowball. That day I bought Connie’s snowball pattern. I could not find the Dick and Jane-style fabrics I really wanted so I decided to do something to match McKenna’s room, and I loved the 30’s vintage fabric. I went to the Whistle Stop
Date you started the quilt: February 2006
Date you finished the top: June 2006
Date you finished the quilt: August 2006
Who pieced it: Rhonda Weaver Warren
Who quilted it: Rhonda Weaver Warren
Is there a label or identifying mark? “Made for McKenna, With Love, Mommy 2006.” It started out before I realized I did not want to embroidery all this: “Handmade with all my love for my daughter, McKenna, By Mommy, 2006.” Where on the quilt is it? Bottom Right Corner
Where was it made? Zebulon, NC, Franklin County
Who/what was it made for: McKenna Anjolie, baby quilt
Was there anything special going on in your life at the time you were working on it? I was spending “0” personal time. My long bathes and favorite TV shows went to the weigh side when the baby was born. All free time was spent loving and caring for McKenna. I really wanted to make this quilt and found time to do it. I woke up very early on the weekends and worked on it late at night.
How was it constructed: Machine pieced, appliquéd and quilted.
I actually upgraded my machine to make this quilt. I tease that this is the most expensive baby quilt ever made because I upgraded over $1000 to buy the Pfaff embroidery machine that would allow me to make the classic snowflake style quilting used in some of the blocks.
Has it won any awards? Just accolades from my friends and family who now actually think I can quilt any thing and want me to enter it in the state fair although I know it is full of the mistakes of a first time quilter. I am glad they see it as perfect.
Size of quilt: Crib
Main colors: Raspberry, pink, white
Fabric Information: 100% cotton vintage 1930’s reproduction. The raspberry fabric includes a little Scottie dog jumping over a fence which inspired the Scottie appliqués. The much of thread, ribbons around the dog’s necks and buttons came from my mother’s sewing box. I want to try to put something of hers in every quilt I make.
Batting information: 100% organic cotton, ¼” thick

No comments: